Friday, November 5, 2010

My Steampunk Art

Some of you may have already saw this stuff.  It was a phase I was going through, which really isn't over yet, I just don't have the same amount of time to devote to it.  If you're not familiar with Steampunk, the concept is:  What if current technology had been invented when we were still using steam engines for our main power source?  Movies such as "The Golden Compass", "Delicatessen" and "City of Lost Children" are considered to be in this style.  Whenever you see a lot of rivets, tubes, pipes and gauges mounted to modern technology, it's probably Steampunk.

This is the punishment device from Franz Kafka's "The Penal Colony".  The operator would type in the crimes of the prisoner (I show the input on the back side of the device), the prisoner would be strapped down to the porcelain table (with little built-in troughs) and then the myriad needles would lower down and "write" the crimes into the prisoner's skin.  The story was about cruel-and-unusual punishments and whether or not they are actual crime deterrents, moral, etc.

The upper image is of a DVD Player (the "the Light Disk Optical Reader") and the lower one is of a "Boom Box".

This is my revisioning for the HGWells Time Machine as first envisioned by the George Pal design team.  If you had read my book "The Beatnik, The Gunslinger, and the Movie Star", this is the Master Chronometer George uses to flip back and forth through time.


1 comment:

  1. Hey Bud,
    Found your image of the Time Machine in an image search for HG Wells Time Machine Steam Punk on Google. I am designing a poster for Paradise Big Band in Key West, http://www.paradisebigband.com and wanted to know if you might be willing to let me use your image of the Time Machine in the poster for their next concert which includes music from the 20s, 30s, 40s. The band is made up of mostly local musicians including seasoned Jazz guys... the band leader is a local teacher and the band nurtures young musicians who get to play with jazz men who have played with some of Jazz's greats. They do 2 concerts a year for a local audience at Tennessee Williams Theatre lobby here in Key West. The posters you see on the website are my designs, which I create for tickets to the show. I would, of course, give you credit for the drawing... and if you had a chance to come down to Key West for the concert on March 9th, I would get you tickets. What do you think?

    Best,
    Kathey Fatica
    aka Katydid Something

    P.S. I'm a former Clevelander... lived downtown and in Little Italy. My husband's brother has a great little basement restaurant on Mayfield Road called Primo Vino.

    ReplyDelete