Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I loved Roddy McDowall

This is an admission.  I have always loved Roddy McDowall.  The very sound of that incredibly smooth voice still sends shivers down my spine.  I would watch nearly any movie or television show if he was in it, and was very rarely disappointed.

Now most of you may remember him from his role as Cornelius in the Planet of the Apes movies, or as Galen in the short lived television series based on the Planet of the Apes movies.  But my love affair with him started long before: he was a young man in Orson Welles' version of Macbeth.



He starred in Cleopatra, the Poseidon Adventure and even played the "Book Worm" in tv's Batman series with Adam West.  These three were guilty pleasures of mine and I'd watch them whenever they were on.  I must have seen the Poseidon Adventure over a dozen times!  He was also the voice of V.I.N.C.E.N.T. in the wonderful movie the Black Hole (one of the only critically good movies put out by Disney).

It would take too long to list all that he'd been in.  He was very prolific.  Go to IMDB and scroll down page after page if you don't believe me!

But the show that really clinched it for me, due to the mysterious and scientific nature, was a series called "The Fantastic Journey".  It was about a collection of people stranded on a strange island where "barriers" had been created by someone all over the island, dividing it up into multitudes of sections.  Each section had a different time, a different population, etc.  Endless stories could be conceived using this mechanic.  Roddy played a scientist who thinks he is all alone so he creates a population of robots to keep him company.

No comments:

Post a Comment