Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Did you take my used kitty litter?

We have been buying kitty litter (Tidy Cats) in a big plastic tub.  We should probably start buying bulk, but for now the cat loves this particular brand, and I've always had good luck with it with my former cat.  Anyway, it clumps up very nicely with no stragglers and keeps the smell way down.  Every couple of days I scoop out a bag full of waste and take it out to the garbage can.  However, for some reason, this one time I ended up dumping the scoops into an empty litter tub.  I kept doing this until it was quite full.  I don't recommend doing this because the ammonia builds up in the tub and then whenever you open it you get a face full of strong ammonia.  I won't do this ever again.  However, like I said...this one time...

Thursdays are our nights to put garbage out on the tree-lawn/curbside for Friday pickup.  So on a Thursday night I took out the garbage, guided the garbage can to the curb and set down the plastic tub of smelly, used kitty litter.

A couple hours later I happed to look outside and the tub was gone.

Someone came along and took the plastic tub full of used litter.

Now, I may understand someone wanting the tub, but once they discovered it was full of litter, I'd think they'd abandon that plan.  Perhaps they were very recycle conscious (as we typically are) and decided they'd recycle the tub for us.  However, they'd have to dump the litter out first, and that seems like a lot of trouble to go through for a Clevelander.

I just can't figure out what someone wanted a tub of soiled kitty litter for.

Sometimes I feel like I'm in a David Lynch film, or Candid Camera.  The world is a very absurd place and it just keeps going round and round.

3 comments:

  1. That's ominous. I'm guessing it ended up as a practical joke. Spread across someone's porch, for example.

    I buy the same brand, and their new packaging (cardboard boxes instead of plastic tubs) has a much lower environmental impact ... you'd just better keep it up off the floor in case your basement floods. TMOT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. one of my favorite activities is to put something with metal on the tree lawn for "trash pick-up" and then look out the window to time how long it takes before one of the seemingly ever-present roaming scavengers comes by and loads said object into their vehicle.

    and speaking of vehicles it is a shame we can't run cars on used kitty litter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just assume they thought one of two things:
    1. Cool! Free kitty litter!
    2. Cool! Free empty kitty litter tub!

    Bud, you're only doing your civic duty, reminding us all to be careful what we decide to take from someone else's curb.

    Ask Jeff sometime about what happened when I catsitted (catsat?) for him at his house on Jay in 2003. (in my defense, I didn't know you couldn't flush clumping litter...)

    ReplyDelete